Walking with the risen Jesus (Originally posted 24/09/2015)
The vision statement of our new church is ‘Walking with the risen Jesus.’ This arises out of a ‘home passage,’ or founding biblical narrative, Luke 24:13-35. I invite you to consider how the following aspects of this passage will shape our life as God’s people together and our mission:
· Jesus meets people where they are at.
· The risen Jesus is present with us, whether or not we recognise him.
· We encounter Jesus in Scripture.
· The journey is at least as important as the destination.
· Jesus listens deeply to the sad and weary disciples. He hears their story and asks questions which draw them out, not close down conversation.
· The disciples encounter and recognise the risen Jesus as they extend hospitality to the stranger.
· The meal is important in mission.
· Jesus does not force himself on people but invites their invitation to come deeper into their lives.